PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, December 2, 2011

Tie-Dye Flowers (DIY)


I mentioned in this birthday post how my co-workers decorated my desk with a few birthday surprises. This has kind of become a tradition for us. With each person's birthday we all contribute a little something to their birthday desk to make the day (or whichever day we celebrate) extra special. Birthdays are the best, and EVERYONE deserves to feel extra special on their day. 


Last spring when collaborating on someone else's birthday we decided to go with a color theme, knowing the person we were celebrating is a huge dodger fan (blue). Usually our contributions include a card, flowers, balloons, a gift card, small gift, a special treat, or anything else that seems fitting for that person. At some point long ago I offered to do the flowers for someone's birthday, and I've continued to do them ever since. I've become the flower girl (no pun intended) and I couldn't be more smitten with my job title. 

Considering the theme and my job as flower girl, I decided to channel my inner 5th grade science teacher and attempt to dye flowers blue. I bought white daisies (carnations or other white flowers will also do), put them in a jar of water mixed with lots of blue dye, and let nature run it's course! As the flowers soak up the dyed water, all the color starts to go to the white petals of the flowers. The longer the flowers sit in the water the more saturated them become. In my experience they don't usually end up a solid color, more like a tie-dye version of the color with highlights at the edges and streaks or spots through some of the petals. 

To my surprise, the blue flowers were a total hit! They were fun to look at, but I think it was the extra time and attention to detail that made it so special. I am all about the details, which in my experience means the world to (most) people. 

So, for my birthday I got the favor returned! My birthday theme was green (fav), and from my Dodger Fan co-worker, I got green flowers! I love details, and I loved this. She couldn't have picked a more fitting thing to do for me. Cute vase too :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment