PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Napkin Throw Pillow (DIY)

For a girl who loves Anthropologie, I sure can't afford to buy much of it! Instead of walking right through the front door and picking up the first thing I see that I love to try on, I'm the girl who walks in with blinders that direct me straight to the sale rack. Then, once I get there, I scour the racks, focusing my time not on the clothing items but instead on the price tags. I know what I can afford, so I only pick up items in that range. Eventually I make it to a fitting room, then it's time to see if I like anything.

You'd be surprised what items you'll want to leave with that you never would have thought to try on. I think this system all started for me back when my roommate and I would make each other try on the ugliest thing we could find for the other person. To my surprise, those were the items I started taking home with me.

Since I can't afford a majority of the store, I started finding little things here and there that were affordable to add a little Anthro love to my life. For example, a few weeks back, as I sifted through the "Home" sale section I found simple cloth napkins in a fun, bright pattern. Cost? $3.95. About the price of a latte but something that would last me a little longer. I bought two napkins in slightly different patterns with the intent to use them for something beyond their original purpose. This is often how I look at their sale items.

What would these napkins become? Well, a pillow of course!

Cloth Napkin Throw Pillow 
(MYO-Make Your Own)

What you need:

  • 2 square shaped cloth napkins
  • sharp scissors
  • thread
  • sewing machine and/or needle (I hand sewed mine)
  • buttons only if you want to add something fun at the end (I decided not to)


1. Put fabrics together, right sides together so 
you see the backsides of both napkins.



2. Safety pins edges together on three sides. 

3. Beginning at edge of opening, sew all three sides together 
with sewing machine or hand stitch. Remove safety pins as you go. 



4. Insert pillow (I used one already covered).  




5. Fold edges in toward pillow and pin together. 
Sides should be even and not bunched anywhere. 
Pull from ends (corners) to make sure everything is even.  


6. Make sure to tuck all corners in. 


7. Begin at one corner of pillow and sew final seam. 
Get as close to the edge as possible (you may want to do by hand) 
so the seem is not immediately noticeable.  


8. Continue stitching until entire side is sewn shut. 


9. Add buttons around edges if you want to 
add a final touch of detail. I chose to keep mine simple.  

No comments:

Post a Comment